[tpm] Cross-border contracting

Chris Reuter bulk at blit.ca
Wed Jul 31 11:10:27 PDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I seem to have gotten a small contract with an American company.
Since a lot of people here do cross-border contracting, I was hoping
to get some advice.

My specific questions are (in no particular order):

1. Should I incorporate?

2. Is it true that I can operate a sole proprietorship in my own name
without needing to register anything?

3. Will I need to charge the customer (who is American) HST?  (The
point is moot right now because it's not enough money to qualify, but
I'm curious.)

4. Is there a preferred method of payment?

5. Do I need insurance?

6. Are there any tax gotchas I need to watch out for?

7. Do you have any other advice and/or pointers to resources?

Thanks in advance,

                               --Chris