[tpm] Fwd: [Boston.pm] Perl community "The Rising Costs of Aging Perlers"

Adam Prime adam.prime at utoronto.ca
Tue Jul 23 11:24:34 PDT 2013

On 13-07-23 01:40 PM, arocker at Vex.Net wrote:

>> It's somewhat challenging to find people that are strong in perl and
>> "senior", and it's even more difficult to find people like that that are
>> actually looking for a job.
>
> Really? I'd like to think I fit that category, and I've given up expecting

I don't know what the jobs you've been looking at are, or what your
experience and skill are, but it should be noted that I'm talking
specifically about web. To me this means you have a good handle on XHTML
and/or HTML5, CSS, JS to start. Knowing about responsive design, web
performance optimization and semantic markup are also good things to
have. This stuff is all of equal importance to me as your actual skills
with whatever language your familiar with on the backend.

For the senior positions that we're hiring for you need to have all of
that stuff, not just 5 years or more of perl (or python, or whatever).
If your experience is years of writing fabulously complicated cron jobs
leverage all sorts of perl wizardry, you aren't going to get the jobs
I'm talking about.

These people do exist, they are all just working already, or very
happily freelancing.

Adam