[tpm] Scala, Patterns, and The Perl Effect

J. Bobby Lopez jbl at jbldata.com
Fri Jan 25 05:12:52 PST 2013

Interesting (and somewhat dated) article about Scala, with some
comparisons to Perl regarding TMTOWTDI:

> Taking a step back, I have a worry about Scala, which is what I'll
> call "The Perl Effect." Perl prided itself on allowing "more than one
> way to do it." As a result, you could see many different
> implementations of the same code, often remarkably different.

If Scala truly does give developers the expressiveness and and power of
Perl, I don't see how the "community" can prevent "clever" coding
practices.  And with that, I don't see how imposing restrictions on such
cleverness could lead to better adoption by "mainstream" developers.
The article seems to have some gaps in reasoning (IMO), but it still
prompts some interesting conversation.