[tpm] [OT] Git repo combination

Antonio Sun antoniosun at lavabit.com
Thu Jan 17 09:12:27 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Olaf Alders <olaf.alders at gmail.com> wrote:

> > An off-topic question on Git -- how to put my locally managed Git repo
> under a sub-folder of another remote Git repo?
> >
> > My locally managed Git repo was created totally locally, without any
> remote repo. Now I hope everything, including the histories, can show up
> under a sub-folder of another remote Git repo.
>

> Hi Antonio,
>
> I think you want "git submodule".
>
> http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-Tools-Submodules

Thanks Olaf,

That's not quite what I was looking for. For git submodule, "you want to be
able to treat the two projects as *separate *yet still be able to use one
from within the other. . .  Submodules allow you to keep a Git repository
as a subdirectory of another Git repository. This lets you clone another
repository into your project and keep your commits separate."

I wasn't able to find a remote repo for my local repo until recently, now I
just want to give my local repo a remote repo, but should be under a sub
folder. Afterward, there would be only one *combined *repo. Would that be
possible?

Thanks