[tpm] New Regex question - partially solved

Rob Janes janes.rob at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:11:13 PDT 2012

perl is supposed to be a swiss army knife of things.  that's actually what
i like about it, it's very accepting, very canadian, very multicultural.

I've been doing perl for quite some time now, and I can say very definitely
from what I've seen, that using \1 instead of $1 is not going to cost
anybody a perl job, if that's the job you want.  Sure, if Uri's the
interviewer you better be careful, but otherwise I've never seen anybody
else really react about something like that.  If you're doing perl, you're
usually pretty accepting of different styles.  There are few courses in
perl at university so virtually all of us are self-taught.  Python on the
other hand - a lot of people come out of school with python, and there's a
certain air about them and their use of python.  same for c++ and java.
people doing those languages are often big on style, and I've seen code
reviews completely usurped by style issues with not one glance to
functionality, passing the code on correcting spelling mistakes in the
comments while leaving gaping holes in the logic.  so ...

and the last word award goes to ....