[tpm] Perl Template 101

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Sun May 13 08:48:40 PDT 2012

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Antonio Sun <antoniosun at lavabit.com> wrote> Hi,

> It's been a while since I last played with Perl Templates. I know it is very
> easy, but I'm still wondering if you know some good intro/tutorial that can
> help me to pick it up easily, considering there are now zero knowledge
> remain in me about it.
>
> Also, when talking about template-ing, we can't avoid talking about the data
> sources. What would be the lightest module to use? Most probably I need only

TT2 is definitively the way to go for very powerful templates. The
documentation is simply fantastic, and you probably won't need
anything else but:

perldoc Template::Manual
perldoc Template::Manual::Intro
http://template-toolkit.org/

Regarding DB access and combining a good ORM tech I would suggest
using DBIC (DBIx::Class). But if you are going to use DBIC and TT2,
you might as well add a controller layer and use Catalyst:

http://www.catalystframework.org/

> one column from the data source, in which case I don't need any package at
> all. But it'd be good to know, just in case that I need to read two or more
> columns.

Catalyst helpers will help you create a CRUD app in about 7 minutes ;-)

Best,

--
Alejandro Imass