[tpm] more problems than solutions this week

Indy Singh indy at indigostar.com
Fri May 4 12:14:15 PDT 2012

While we are on this topic.  One issue I have encountered is that of how to
update a 'live' file on a webserver.  Lets say that we have a large file on
a webserver 'foo.tar' and I want to replace it with a new version.  If I
SFTP upload a replacement file then I am never sure if I am going to mess up
someone that may be half way trough downloading the file.

I just verified that the inode number does not change if I upload a
replacement file with SFTP. Would I be correct in thinking that any file
downloads that are occurring concurrently with the upload would be
corrupted?

Would it be safe to upload the new file as 'new.tar' then use the commands
'rm foo.tar' followed by 'mv new.tar foo.tar'?  On the assumption that the
rm command would only unlink the directory entry but any current file
handles being used to download the file would continue to work.  Any new
downloads would use the new file.

Indy Singh
IndigoSTAR Software -- www.indigostar.com