[tpm] more problems than solutions this week

arocker at Vex.Net arocker at Vex.Net
Fri May 4 11:44:18 PDT 2012

I see Indy's answered your problem, but just a point on the topic:

> But what I've found is that the inode doesn't change!
> [so I'd assume that the ">" redirection simply rewinds
> the write pointer to offset zero and writes the string
> and then truncates the file at that point.]

That's why "sort file > file" (and similar commands) is fatal; it resets
the pointer on the (output) file, then starts trying to read from the
(input) file, whose pointer now says it's at EOF.