[tpm] Bundling a Perl, mysql WEB app for local use

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Mon Jan 9 07:42:38 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Chris Jones <cj at enersave.ca> wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the suggestions and pointers.
> Because the MySQL database needs to be written to, I don't believe the
> application can be standalone on a CD/DVD.

Yeah, PAR (my earlier suggestion) won't work either because you
wouldn't be able to bundle Apache either.

> The best sounding approach is to create the necessary scripts to install the
> application locally.

Maybe your best bet would be to create a small footprint VirtualBox
(https://www.virtualbox.org/) using a light-weight Linux distro. That
is, create a small Linux distribution (e.g. Debian) without X11 or
anything. Just the basic OS, and the LAMP layers. It will _easily_ fit
on a single CD and the you can just copy the contents of the CD to any
Windows station and runs run the VM. You could also create the VM
using Windows but it may be larger than the size of a CD.