[tpm] (off Topic) - mailing list software

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri May 13 11:08:39 PDT 2011

On Friday 13 May 2011 16:51:19 Fulko Hew wrote:
> Sorry for the off topic (non-Perl) question...
>
> I'm setting up a Linux (Fedora) system here at work for 'other' reasons,
> but...
> I'd like to also support mailing lists with: archives, search, web
> access... (and maybe web 'forums' to?).
>
> Can anyone recommend their favorite packages for both MTAs and list support
> ?
> (The simpler the better, lest my head explode.)

My 2 cents:

1. I would strongly recommend against qmail and ezmlm or ezmlm-idx:

http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/anti/qmail/

2. I happen to like Postfix - you can easily configure it by tweaking the
verbose and well-commented configuration file of Fedora, and some copy-and-
paste examples and some help from the mailing list and/or books. It is secure,
actively maintained, has many important features, and has the best reputation
among the post-qmail mailing list servers.

3. I would also recommend against using sendmail due to its arcane
configuration syntax.

4. While most mail administrators use Mailman, it was not actively maintained
for many years now, and has other issues. Perhaps try looking into Sympa,
which is written in Perl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympa

Good luck!

Regards,