[tpm] September meeting: Lightning talks

Mike Stok mike at stok.ca
Mon Aug 29 18:13:01 PDT 2011

This is a gentle reminder that September is our traditional month for Lightning Talks, and I'm putting out a call for an emcee, people willing to give a talk, and this year I'd like to challenge people to keep to 5 minutes and see if we can get 11 talks to fill an hour.

What is a lightning talk?  See http://perl.plover.com/lt/osc2003/lightning-talks.html which includes:

> Notice of Intent
>
> A lot of people are not getting the point of these. They hear that they only get five minutes to speak, and they get all tense. ``How can I squeeze a whole talk into five minutes?''
>
> No! The point is that because the talk is only five minutes long, you don't have to take it so seriously. Just try to say something brief and interesting, and then get out in a hurry. If people want to follow up or ask questions, they will catch you in the hallway afterwards.
>
> If I got to schedule eleven talks that were nothing but five minutes of ranting and raving, I would be really happy.

Of course we can follow up after the talks are over, or in the bar afterwards.  It would be fun to see if we can get 11 talks cranked out in an hour.  You don't have to have slides or any other fancy stuff, just a willingness to spend 300 seconds saying something!

An old list of potential topics in addition to those mentioned on the lightning talks page: http://perl.plover.com/lt/lightning-topics.txt

Reply to me on or off list and I'll update the schedule page (travel may cause some lag, but I'll do it.)

Mike

--

Mike Stok <mike at stok.ca>
http://www.stok.ca/~mike/