[tpm] Why perl lost steam...

Stuart Watt stuart at morungos.com
Tue Sep 21 11:14:03 PDT 2010

  Ok, I didn't know Grails *was* Groovy + Spring + Hibernate + Tomcat.
Now I do, I'd say it's probably a good framework, but I'm not sure it's
really any simpler than Catalyst. And that's saying something.

The quickest web apps I've ever developed used HTTP::Daemon. Seriously,
can it get any simpler than:
http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.837/lib/HTTP/Daemon.pm
<http://search.cpan.org/%7Egaas/libwww-perl-5.837/lib/HTTP/Daemon.pm>.
OK, so Dancer and Mojolicious both come close, but they also immediately
impose stuff on you.

For learning, there is a lot to be said for this approach. A framework
is just more stuff to learn, and while they are useful because they hide
nasty web complexity, this makes it harder to see what's going on.

--S
stuart at morungos.com
twitter.com/morungos