[tpm] how to detect ICMP 'port unreachable'?

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 21:47:56 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:24 PM, <hanker at ifdsgroup.com> wrote:

> AfaIk,
> No err checking is avail on that level. I suggest go one or two levels up
> in osi and negotiate protocol (I assume you have picked one already?), eg:
> hello, wait for hello in  return, sending xxx bytes, wait for go ahead in
> return... So on

Nope... can't... Its SNMP and I'm querying a remote address.
The address exists, but there is no SNMP daemon on the std port.
so I query, and the remote end returns 'no port'.  Since the ICMP isn't
returned
upstream, SNMP assumes a 'no response', times out, and retries.

... All this time wasted retrying when the system already told us
there was no one there!

There has to be a better way!

Fulko