[tpm] Meeting feedback and suggestions.

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:09:21 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM, Tom Legrady <legrady at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a "flip HD" video camera, which is good for generating documentary
> video. Would have to experiment at merging the video with a separate audio
> recorder, if the built-in mic isn't good enough.

Having had 'some' experience in doing this for about 2 years for TPM plus
the
~50 hours worth of YAPC 2005...

Let me say its harder than it seems, especially if your want to provide a
little more than
just the basic stuff.  Ie.  it doesn't stop with the ~1.5 hour recording.
In the end I also:
a) re-listened to the recording; trimmed the start and end, edited out the
'uhmms' and 'ahhs',
removed the looooong pregnant pauses while people played with their laptops,
etc.
b) altering the sound levels as best as possible, boosting the levels for
the audience
questions so that they had a chance of being heard.
c) Plus adding the intro and exit music, looped, with voice over.
d) Oh and also the archiving,
e) and editing the RSS feed

In the end, a 1.5 hour recording took about another 3 hours of
post-processing.

and... you have to be there and produce _every_ month for consistency...

BTW.  At one point (last year?) someone volunteered to do video
recordings...
but we never saw them again.

But don't let me talk you out of it.  :-)

 On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Mike Stok <mike at stok.ca> wrote:

>>  Thanks to everyone who showed up at January's meeting.
>>
>> Some ideas about meetings which were mentioned:

... snip ...