[tpm] Single thread Perl 5.8.8 vs. Multi-threaded Perl 5.10.1

Stuart Watt stuart at morungos.com
Mon Sep 21 13:19:37 PDT 2009

I do remember the Perl documentation saying somewhere that threading did
have about a 20-25% performance penalty, and that's just inherent in any
Perl compiled to enable threads. I can't remember where I got that from,
though. If you want high performance, you may find it easier to use
processes with some form of IPC rather than relying on Perl threads. We
do this (on Windows, admittedly) and it does seem that our Perl without
threads is about 25% faster than ActivePerl. So your original results
are exactly in line with that. We do use a lot of multiprocessing, but
we do it by laboriously creating and coordinating Windows processes.

As to the more detailed test differences, I hesitate to comment without
knowing more about the architecture of the test, especially if SQL
databases are involved. Of course, you could try the same benchmark
using either UNIX fork()s rather than Perl threads, to see whether you
get a different result.

All the best
Stuart