[tpm] Bizarre bug or brain fade?

arocker at vex.net arocker at vex.net
Tue May 12 11:07:31 PDT 2009

A program containing a fairly large "here document" is on a machine I
cannot access directly. (Somebody else has to run it for me.) The code was
substantially copied from a program that runs successfully there, but it
crashes with a complaint that the terminal string was not found before EOF
on input. (I can't quote Perl versions today.)

I've tried the usual things to ensure that there are no invisible
characters lurking on the line, &c., to no avail. The whole program cannot
be run on my machine, but when I extracted the relevant portion for
autopsy, it worked.

This dialogue http://tinyurl.com/ov69dt seems to deal with a similar case,
but it's old enough that I would expect it to have been fixed by now. Has
anyone seen anything similar?