[tpm] CPAN Recursive Dependencies

Quantum Mechanic quantum.mechanic.1964 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 10:19:01 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Fulko Hew <fulko.hew at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Quantum Mechanic <
> quantum.mechanic.1964 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... snip ...
>
> Recursive dependency detected:
>>     Bundle::CPAN
>>  => Test::Harness
>>  => A/AN/ANDYA/Test-Harness-3.17.tar.gz
>>  => File::Spec
>>  => S/SM/SMUELLER/PathTools-3.30.tar.gz
>>  => Scalar::Util
>>  => G/GB/GBARR/Scalar-List-Utils-1.21.tar.gz
>>  => Test::More
>>  => M/MS/MSCHWERN/Test-Simple-0.88.tar.gz
>>  => Test::Harness.
>> Cannot continue.
>>
>> Um, geez, how do I fix this?
>

> I can't say for sure, but someone once suggested to me (on a similar?)
> problem I was having...
>
> - Manually install the offending module (Test::Harness) and then re-try
> installing your original goal.

OK, trying that now.

Is the bootstrapping *ever* supposed to work automagically? If not,
shouldn't CPAN.pm etc. figure out how to break the cycle? I understand in
general this can be a hard problem, but it irks me that CPAN can't update
itself without help (especially given the big hint of "Try install
Bundle::CPAN" everytime I install something else and CPAN is behind --
which, come to think of it, is always behind because it can't update
itself.)

--
-QM
Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of