[tpm] Article on the future of Perl

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Tue Jan 13 18:54:36 PST 2009

On Jan 13, 2009, at 12:51 PM, arocker at vex.net wrote:

> http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Healthcheck-Perl-The-Perl-
> Future--/features/112388
>
> Worth reading.

I remember Piers as a commanding presence, physically and
intellectually :-), at YAPCs past, particularly in Boca Raton and
Paris in 2003.

The point where I would quarrel with him is when he cites some
unnamed other source as characterizing Perl 5.10.0 as a 'testing'
release.  I never heard anyone describe it like that.  Quite to the
contrary, I just did an upgrade to Ubuntu 8.10 last week, and I was
pleasantly surprised to see that their default Perl was 5.10.  I
doubt that they would have included 5.10 in the distro if they felt
it was still a 'testing' release.

jimk