[tpm] Splitting a perl cgi into cgi-bin and htdocs

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 18:10:49 PDT 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Indy Singh <indy at indigostar.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I am working on a perl cgi application and I'm wondering if it would be
> better to split it into two directories in cgi-bin and htdocs, or put all
> the parts into one directory under htdocs

In my case... for my mega cgi-based application, I ended up creating a
directory tree
underneath htdocs and adding an entry to httpd.conf for my application set
to allow cgi
on it, like:

<Directory "/var/www/html/nia">
    Options FollowSymLinks ExecCGI
    AddHandler cgi-script .pl
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

Sorry, I guess I did this so long ago, that it wasn't called htdocs yet,
but it was still called html.'

Everything is under that directory, the cgi apps, the
documentation, etc.

My excuse (before you start commenting about bad style, or approach) is
that...
I did this about 10 years ago...
I didn't know what I was doing...
I didn't know if I was doing it the 'right way'...
... but It works!

YMMV.