[tpm] [u-u] Return to the past. Re: Alarming Development

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 20:14:48 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:45 PM,  <arocker at vex.net> wrote:
>> Is burning PROMs by hand before or after punch cards?
>>
> Definitely after. Proms started with as much memory as early machines had
> in total.

Yup -- when my Dad would take my downtown to his office once in a
while, he'd set me up with a punch card machine. One time in the
mid-60s I made up cards for every student in my Grade 3 class, as well
as the teacher, Mrs. Martini.

I didn't get introduced to PROMs until the mid-70s, and EPROMs (erased
with the magic UV light) in the late 70's.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario