[tpm] Perl, JBoss and STDOUT

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 13:42:09 PST 2008

Well, recalling a solution that I used recently to repair a Java
problem, is it possible that the Java application needs more memory,
as provided by the handy -X argument? [1]

I also understand that the very latest Java from Sun (version 6,
release 10) is a little wobbly, and reverting to release 7 makes
things run much better. I'm not sure if this is what the 'new version
of something' refers to ..

Neither suggestion is really Perl related, but in this case wild
guesses might work. Good luck, let us know how it all turns out.

Alex

1. http://www.duckware.com/pmvr/howtoincreaseappletmemory.html

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:42 PM,  <arocker at vex.net> wrote:

> I have an interesting problem. Though it may remind you of the song about
> the old lady who swallowed a fly, please do not give way to uncontrollable
> laughter when I describe the environment. (Note that the various layers
> are implemented by separate parties, for institutional security reasons.)
>
> Down at the bottom, (so far down that I can only dimly see it), JBOSS is
> running Java application programs. If they work, they are supposed to emit
> job tickets to STDOUT.
>
> These Java programs are invoked by bash scripts that set up the
> environment, and do whatever other unspeakable acts are necessary to get
> Java to perform.
>
> The bash scripts are invoked by my Perl code, which gathers arguments,
> creates filenames, establishes working directories, grabs the job tickets,
> parses them, and sends mail based on their contents.
>
> Oracle's in the stew somewhere, but nowhere that my programs care about.
>
> Bizarre as the whole edifice may seem, testers actually managed to get
> sensible results out of it for a brief period. Then the developers
> deployed a new version of the system, and broke something. (Using the
> technical sense of "something".)
>
> Now, the shell scripts will still run from the command line, and produce
> what look like the same output, but the Perl programs apparently cannot
> see it. They certainly aren't creating the same output.
>
> Does any of this fog, mirrors and hand-waving sound familiar to anyone?

Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario
aka talexb