[tpm] Pub discussion (1)

Abram Hindle abram.hindle at softwareprocess.us
Thu Aug 28 21:11:47 PDT 2008

I think you're totally correct. I think we were in the wrong here.

as this:

sub c {  "   lolcakes    whatwhat " }
c() =~ /([a-z]+)\s*([a-z]+)/g;
print "t1 ".t1($1,$2),$/;
c() =~ /([a-z]+)\s*([a-z]+)/g;
print "t2 ".t2($1,$2),$/;
c() =~ /([a-z]+)\s*([a-z]+)/g;
print "t3 ".t3($1,$2),$/;
c() =~ /([a-z]+)\s*([a-z]+)/g;
print "t4 ".t4($1,$2),$/;

sub t1 {
	($a,$b) = @_;
	warn "$a $b";
	$b =~ /(a+)/;
	return $a;
}

sub t2 {
	$a = shift;
	$b = shift;
	warn "$a $b";
	$b =~ /(a+)/;
	return $a;
}

sub t3 {
	$a = $_[0];
	$b = $_[1];
	warn "$a $b";
	$b =~ /(a+)/;
	return $a;
}

sub t4 {
	warn "$_[0] $_[1]";
	$_[1] =~ /(a+)/;
	return $_[0];
}

produces this:
lolcakes whatwhat at ref.pl line 14.
t1 lolcakes
lolcakes whatwhat at ref.pl line 22.
t2 lolcakes
lolcakes whatwhat at ref.pl line 30.
t3 lolcakes
lolcakes whatwhat at ref.pl line 36.
t4 a

We were warning against using @_ directly
since it is aliased. If you look in the last example
$_[0] has changed.

And for review form perlsub:

Any arguments passed in show up in the array @_. Therefore, if you
called a function with two arguments, those would be stored in $_[0]
and $_[1]. The array @_ is a local array, but its elements are aliases
for the actual scalar parameters. In particular, if an element $_[0]
is updated, the corresponding argument is updated (or an error occurs
if it is not updatable). If an argument is an array or hash element
which did not exist when the function was called, that element is cre‐
ated only when (and if) it is modified or a reference to it is taken.
(Some earlier versions of Perl created the element whether or not the
element was assigned to.) Assigning to the whole array @_ removes that
aliasing, and does not update any arguments.

So we were wrong about case of using shift.

abram