[tpm] Subroutine arcana

Jim Graham jim_graham at sympatico.ca
Mon May 21 09:38:28 PDT 2007

Hi

  Thanks for the compliment :)

  Just to follow up on the anonymous subroutine assigned to a scalar: I saw somewhere (perl.com?) that this is a way to have private
methods in a class. This is one of the complaints against Perl's OO model: all methods declared as subs are visible. This trick is
one way to make private methods:

   my $private_method = sub { }

Imagine:
--------
 package foo

 sub new
 {
  bless $self, $class;
 }

 my $private_method = sub {};

 sub public_method
 {

  #-- call private method
  $private_method->( @args );
 }

 new and public_method are visible, $private_method is not.

I think this is discussed in TheDamien's Object Oriented Perl, and this thread
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=200102

  - jim