[Thousand-Oaks-pm] Next TO Perl Mongers is coming up; presenters wanted!

David Oswald daoswald at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 18:03:42 PST 2012

I should be able to make it (depends on my wife's work schedule at the
hospital, but I think she's off that night, which means I'm available).
That being the case, I'm wondering if I might ask for five or ten minutes
at the end, beginning, during the intermission, or even at the pub
afterwards to brainstorm on a problem I'm having with CPAN smoke testers
that is stalling progress on Inline::CPP.

I've already been working pretty closely with Rob "sisyphus" (current
maintainer of Inline, Inline::C, and InlineX::CPP2XS), but we're both
stumped.  We haven't gotten any additional clues from the inline mailing
list, and a message to the smoke-test-discuss didn't get us very far either.

Anyone wanting to look ahead of time check the CPAN distribution for
Inline::CPP version 0.33_008 Developer's release, see the current test
results here:
http://static.cpantesters.org/distro/I/Inline-CPP.html#0.33_008 and/or look
at my github repo's 'dev' branch for Inline::CPP.  The github repo is
here:  git at github.com:daoswald/Inline-CPP.git

In brief the issue is that when the test suite is run by smoke testers
there's a strong possibility that they will issue a FAIL because
Inline::CPP can't locate Parse::RecDescent.  The common solutions such as
ensuring Makefile.PL is writing out the PREREQ_PM parameter seem to have
all been checked.  The issue seems to be a bad interaction between how
smoke test configurations constrain @INC and how Inline (a dependency for
Inline::CPP) fiddles with @INC.  Attempts to load Parse::RecDescent
test script that use does a "use_ok" on Parse::RecDescent passes if it
doesn't load Inline::CPP.

I would be looking for ideas on how to track down where things are going
awry.

Maybe that's off topic, or too obscure of an issue to be worthy of the
Mongers time, but if there's an interest, I could sure use a suggestion or
two.

Dave

--

David Oswald