[Thousand-oaks-pm] Perl Flagship Applications

Aran Deltac bluefeet at gmail.com
Tue May 4 17:03:34 PDT 2010

So, at the end of LA.pm this month one of our fellow mongers (I forget his
name, sorry) was talking about how he wished there were more "flagship" Perl
applications that could illustrate the power of perl to a more general
audience.  PHP has Drupal, Wordpress, Mediawiki, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Java has Hadoop, Cassandra, etc, etc, etc.  These flagship applications
provide the underlying language an automatic approval to the users of those
applications.  People who do not code in PHP or Java know of these
applications and what language they were written in because these
application proudly state what language(s) they are using.  This means that
managers, etc, are exposed to these languages as providing high quality and
highly complex software.

So, what I'm wondering is, what does perl have?

I know of one off the top of my head:  TWiki (http://twiki.org/)

I'm sure there are more.  Melody (the really open source version of Movable
Type) will fall in this list once its released, I'm hoping.

And, if the person who brought this point up in the first place at LA.pm
could speak up and maybe talk about what you were thinking that would be
great.

Aran