[Thousand-oaks-pm] Perl 6 Hackathon DB Progress

toddpresta at sbcglobal.net toddpresta at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 15 19:52:42 PDT 2009

Hey All,

Unless I'm missing something completely obvious, it doesn't seem like the SQLite3 extension is working too good at this point. I've built bleeding edge and pittsburgh with the corresponding versions of parrot using the --gen-parrot switch on both WinTel and Linux, but I have to go back and hack dependencies to get the extension to build at all. I got to a point where running a Perl 6 test in the parrot/ext/SQLite3/t directory would open/create a database, but then would immediately segfault. Running Perl 6 with a trace flag on the test program generated roughly 60Meg of output text before I had to login to another shell and kill my process. :)

I'm going to go back and do a fresh install of latest and greatest just for a reality check. Maybe it is time to ask around on IRC as well.

Since we're in mid-July, chances are that there will be another release of Rakudo any day now according to the release goals. When this happens, I will pull it down and try to build the
 extension again and peruse trac for whatever has changed. My gut feeling is that the REST approach using Perl 5 and DBI might be the most expedient means to get some level of data persistence at this point.

-- Todd Presta

-- http://www.asciiville.com