[Thousand-oaks-pm] Last Night's meeting and next month's agenda

Daniel Sherer Daniel at Sherer.org
Thu Aug 10 10:41:08 PDT 2006

Hey, good meeting last night!

Topics covered included were:

     Sources, Types and availability of Perl training
     Perl project to control electronics (via home-brewed parallel port
device)
     What our companies (and we ourselves) want from Perl Mongers
     How we, as a group, will keep the website updated (hint, it's a wiki,
so eveybody can pitch in)

For next month, we identified two things we'd like to do to make the
meetings more useful and increase participation.

1)  Announce the presenter and topic(s) of the presentation(s) earlier to
allow more time for planning (both for the presenter and members who might
be interested in attending to hear it.)

  That means that we need one to three people to *volunteer NOW* to give a
15min - 30min talk on any Perl related topic.

2) It was proposed that we dedicate the first 30-minutes or so to a free,
beginning Perl training session.  All of our currently attending members
have mastered the basics, but if we want to grow the Perl community,
offering some free training and giving people a forum to find more, might be
a very good thing.

  So, I'm volunteering.  I don't know how many people would be interested,
but please pass this invitation along to anyone you know who might like to
get started learning Perl.  I'll try to limit it to about 8 people and I'll
have a presentation as well as handouts and materials for them.  Please have
anyone interested RSVP to me, directly, at Daniel (at) Sherer (dot) org.

Thanks to all who attended and please consider coming forward to present or
if you know anyone who might like some free training.

Daniel