[Thousand-oaks-pm] RE: Thousand Oaks Perl Monger Meeting tonight?

Daniel.Sherer at healthnet.com Daniel.Sherer at healthnet.com
Fri Nov 5 11:16:23 CST 2004

> Thanks a lot for writing me back.  I don't really have any
> experiance with Perl, so I'm not sure what kind of input I can
> bring to the table.  I know that the group is geared more
> towards honing existing skills, but it would benefit me a lot to
> just "listen in".  I work in the IT field, and I figure it's
> about time to learn Perl, otherwise I'll be shooting myself in
> the foot.

The intent is much broader than just a club for Perl gods.

Everyone in the group has different strengths and weaknesses.   I don't
think we're focused on honing existing skills.  It's more like we want to
build off each other's strengths.  Have a place to show-off cool things,
collaborate on group projects, meet other like-minded individuals and maybe
have some fun.

We don't have a set agenda.  There WON'T be dues or copies of "Robert's
Rules of Order."   It's going to be fun AND informative.

As for now being the time to learn Perl, well, it's never too late.  There
are an infinite number of cool programs left to be written and new tricks
to be mastered.  Some of the people we might come into contact with though
this group include several of the O'Reilly authors (when I said Perl Gods,
I wasn't referring to myself).  So you'll be in good company.

More news to follow...

Daniel Sherer - Manager EIS
Health Net
(818) 676-7592

This  message,together  with  any  attachments, is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed. It may contain information
that is confidential and prohibited from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that  any dissemination  or copying of this
message or any attachment is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this message in error, please notify
the  original  sender immediately by telephone or by
return e-mail and delete this message, along with any
attachments, from your computer.  Thank you.