Changes to perl mailing list

Dan.Sherer at wellpoint.com Dan.Sherer at wellpoint.com
Mon Jul 24 13:32:00 CDT 2000

(Brent submitted this from an account other than his "subscribed" account and
the pm server bounced it to me.  So, I'm resubmitting it for him.)

Daniel Sherer said:
> On a happier note, I just got my copy of "Programming Perl"
> (3rd edition), thanks to Mark who attended the Perl conference!
> I've only read the first chapter, so far, but it seems to be an
> improvement over the 2nd edition.  In my opinion, the 2nd
> edition was much less readable and enjoyable than the first
> edition and only really useful as a reference.
>
> Anyone else have any comments?

I have only read the 2nd edition, but I really liked it.  Of course,
I read "Learning Perl" initially, so I was using the Camel Book
as a reference.  I find it much easier to use than "Perl in a
Nutshell", because there are clearer examples and IMHO better
cross-referencing.

But I'm glad to hear the 3rd edition is even better.

On a similar note, has anyone read "Object Oriented Programming
in Perl" by Damian Conway?  I have enjoyed his columns in the
Perl Journal, and of course use his Coy.pm module quite often. :-)
I hear it's good, but don't know anyone who has read it.  Any
comments?

Thanks,

-Brent