Nice Lunch

Dan.Sherer at wellpoint.com Dan.Sherer at wellpoint.com
Tue Aug 8 18:24:00 CDT 2000

Hey everybody,

I enjoyed lunch today and meeting those of you who were able to attend.

There was Mark, Brent, Gary, Jerry and myself.

We each discussed our work environment, how long we've been using Perl and
some of the things we hope to accomplish through this group.

We planned to do some rotating book reviews.  *** I have a copy of O'Reilly's
new "Perl for system administrators" coming.  I think this one has more of a
Unix focus, so perhaps Brent would like to take a crack at it???  (I'm also
very active on Unix, but there may be some other members who want this one)
***  The reviewer gets to keep the book.

I told the members that I get a steady stream of job offers and requests to
post jobs.  We decided we'd set a section up on our website for this and offer
it to recruiters in exchange for sponsoring our meetings.  We'll have to mull
this over a bit, but we may be able to work it out.

Mark brought a programming example (a search engine that he is implementing on
one of his websites) and posed a question about scope of variables.

This format seemed to work well for us (or at least for those present) and we
agreed we'd like to meet again over lunch.

Thanks,

Daniel