[Thamesvalley-pm] Fwd: [london.pm-announce] The 2016 London Perl Workshop

Oliver Gorwits oliver at cpan.org
Sun Aug 14 05:20:34 PDT 2016

December 3rd - save the date!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [london.pm-announce] The 2016 London Perl Workshop
Date: 2016-08-12 11:20
 From: Mark Keating <m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk>
To: london.pm-announce at groups.perlists.pm

It is my great pleasure to announce the London Perl Workshop for 2016:
Changes

The future's in the air

I can feel it everywhere

Blowing with the wind of change

Take me to the magic of the moment

On a glory night

Where the children of tomorrow dream away

in the wind of change

(Scorpions, Wind of Change)

Pretty soon now you're gonna get older

Time may change me

But I can't trace time

(David Bowie, Changes)

=== What is it?

The London Perl Workshop is a FREE one-day conference in central London,
UK. LPW is the UK's Premier Perl Event and so is also known as the
United Kingdom Perl Workshop (UKPW). Please save the date and register,
we hope to see you there!

==== Details

DATE: 3rd December 2016

TIME: 08:30 a.m. until late (there will be a sponsored after conference
event) - Main talks: 09:00-18:00

WHERE: University of Westminster, Cavendish Campus, 115 New Cavendish
Street London W1W 6UW

CALL FOR PAPERS DEADLINE: Friday 4th November 2016

SPEAKER NOTIFICATION: Monday 7th November 2016

TWITTER HASHTAG: #lpw2016

WEBSITE: http://act.yapc.eu/lpw2016/ [3]

=== How Can I Attend, or Present a Talk?

If you would like to come then please log in and register, if you have
attended an Act event recently you will probably already have a login
otherwise you will need to create a new user first. You can do this by
using the links in the navigation menu to the left of this text.

If you would like to speak then please submit your talk here as soon as
possible - the earlier you submit, the more likely your talk is to be
accepted.

=== Is There a Theme?

The theme for the London Perl Workshop will be "Changes". At the 2015
LPW Mark Keating announced that he will be standing down at the end of
this year's event as organiser of the London Perl Workshop. It is the
10th event he has organised and he feels that now is the time for
change. In the future the event will be run by a new LPW team
(*announcement of team coming soon*).

2016 is also the year in which Perl 6 started to make changes and the
world itself seems to be continually evolving. How does Perl work in
this ever changing world? What are the changes you have seen? What
further changes do we need? This broad theme shouldn't restrict you from
focussing on the small changes as much as the grander ones.

Once again we will be inviting people to run a Hardware hacking event.
If you have an idea of an event or goal you would like to achieve to
coincide with the London Perl Workshop then please contact the
organisers.

We welcome the submission of talks, discussions, presentations and
workshops using other languages, or that have separate technical or
engineering objectives. The strength in developing is knowledge from a
wide variety of sources. If you use another programming language or
system to connect physical and virtual devices together and want to
submit or attend the event then we would be honoured to welcome you. If
you are connected to a UK Hackspace and wish to attend and display then
please approach the organisers with ideas of your requirements.

=== Sponsors

If you would like to sponsor the London Perl Workshop then please do not
hesitate to contact Mark Keating (m.keating at shadowcat.co.uk) and he
will help you with your proposal.

=== Submissions

Speakers are invited to talk on any subject that relates to this theme,
though we will also accept talks on other subjects. We will accept talks
from people of any age, background or circumstance, the London Perl
Workshop is an inclusive event and we would love to have you attend.

This year we hope to have access to three Workshop rooms and would like
to run as many workshops as possible. We would also love to refresh the
skills of those wishing to engage with the latest developments in the
Perl and other languages. If you wish to submit a workshop please use
the same submission form as the talks, please note that workshops will
be 60, 120 or 240 minutes in length.

Please note that we will be starting to accept talks earlier than the
proposal deadline and these will be given a priority on the schedule.
Talks that match our theme will be given a higher weighting on the
schedule.

**Please share this announcement as far and wide as you can and feel
free to alter it for audience and medium.**

SEE YOU ALL AT THE EVENT.
  -mdk

--
Mark Keating | Writer, Photographer, Cat-Herder
Director | Shadowcat Systems Limited
  Enlightened Perl Organisation
  Lancaster and Morecambe Makers
  FLOSSUK
Social Links | http://shadow.cat/blog/mark-keating/ [1]
  http://linkedin.com/in/markkeating [2]
  @shadowcat_mdk

Shadowcat Systems Limited
Is a Company registered in England and Wales.
Company address: The Barracks, White Cross, South Road, Lancaster, LA1
4XQ.
Company Registration Number: 05420396.
Company VAT Number: 868 9313 71

Disclaimer
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are
intended solely for the use
of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions
expressed are solely those of
the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shadowcat Systems
Limited.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither
take any action based
upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the
sender if you believe you
have received this email in error immediately and do not disclose the
contents to anyone or
make copies thereof.

Links:
------