[Thamesvalley-pm] User Group Newsletter - Issue 02-08 (fwd)

Raf tvpm at dreamthought.com
Mon Mar 10 14:37:34 PDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------

O'Reilly UK User Group Programme
NEWSLETTER
Issue 02-08

Within a week, this newsletter will be available to be downloaded in PDF format from the Developers Group web site at http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/0208.pdf
You are welcome to create a link to it for your members' use. Previous newsletters are available at -
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/01087.pdf
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/11007.pdf
http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1007.pdf

HIGHLIGHTS

O'REILLYGMT
BOOK NEWS
- Books for review
YOUR BOOK REVIEWS
CONFERENCE NEWS
UPCOMING EVENTS
NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND

O'REILLYGMT

O'ReillyGMT is a new blog from O'Reilly. We plan to bring you the low-down on tech culture from Iceland, Russia, South Africa and every place in between, from grass roots coding in solitary rooms, through the hopes and dreams of start-ups, via the pioneering work done by governments, charities and direct action groups, to the sizeable contributions of the major corporations that grace this territory.

Our main line of reportage will be technology, but we're keen to dive into ecology, business, media, the arts, academia whenever we learn something we'd like to pass on.

But we want this to be a two-way conversation. Please let us know what you're working on, comment on the stuff we write about, tell us what we're doing right and what we're doing wrong. We built this site to reflect what's going on: you know better than us, so please, join us!
Contact us - oreillygmt at oreilly.co.uk

New Releases--Books, Short Cuts, and Rough Cuts

Get 35% off from O'Reilly, Pragmatic Bookshelf, Rocky Nook or YoungJin books you purchase directly from O'Reilly. Just use your user group promo code when ordering online http://www.oreilly.com/store/  using the UK shopping cart. Forgot your code, ask your leader.

Did you know you can request a free book or PDF to review for your group? Ask your group leader for more information.

For book review writing tips and suggestions, go to:
http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html

*** C# 3.0 Pocket Reference, Second Edition
ISBN10:  0596519222
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519223>

*** CRAFT: Volume 06
ISBN10:  0596518196
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596518196>

*** Enterprise Application Development with Flex (PDF)
ISBN10:  0596514409
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514402>

*** Groovy Recipes (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
ISBN10:  0978739299
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780978739294>

*** iPhone Open Application Development: Rough Cuts Version
ISBN10:  0596519516
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519513>

*** LINQ Pocket Reference
ISBN10:  0596519249
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596519247>

*** Rails for PHP Developers (Pragmatic Bookshelf)
ISBN10:  1934356042
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356043>

*** ScreenOS Cookbook
ISBN10:  0596510039
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510039>

*** Subject To Change: Creating Great Products & Services for an Uncertain World (coming soon)
ISBN10:  0596516835
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596516833>

*** Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition
ISBN10:  0596514123
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596514129>

*** Up and Running with Joomla - PDF
ISBN10:  0596515847
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596515843>

***MAKE Magazine Subscriptions
The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you subscribe with this link, you'll get a free issue--one plus four more for $34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this great offer for UG Members: five volumes for the cost of four.
Subscribe at:
<http://www.makezine.com/go/ugsub>

***Craft Magazine Subscriptions
The annual subscription price for four issues is $34.95. When you subscribe with this link, you'll get a free issue--one plus four more for $34.95. So subscribe for yourself or friends with this great offer for UG Members: five volumes for the cost of four.
Subscribe at:
<http://www.craftzine.com/go/craftug>

YOUR BOOK REVIEWS

***Namur LUG reviewed
Designing Web Navigation -
http://www.namurlug.org/drupal/review_designing_web_navigation

*** Edinburgh pm reviewed -
Linux Networking Cookbook
http://edinburgh.pm.org/book-reviews/linux-networking-cookbook.html

***Durham CompSoc reviewed -
1.  Learning Web Design (3rd ed.)
http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/reviews/Learning-Web-Design.html
2.  Don't Get Burned on eBay
http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/reviews/Ebay.html

Your events and where you can meet O'Reilly

***Java IDE Mini Tour, Italy
10th of March in Genova and the 12th of March in Rome.
http://www.ideday.org

***QCon, London - 12-14 March (O'Reilly table)
http://qcon.infoq.com/london/conference/

***Spring 2008 Conference, Birmingham - 31 March-2 April (O'Reilly table)
Organized by UKUUG
http://www.ukuug.org/events/spring2008/

***FOWD - London, 17-18th April (O'Reilly table)
http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/322723/

***HP User Group Seminars: Further details from admin at hpug.org

"SAN Analysis Monitoring & Debugging" - 6 March
LONDON

"HP-UX - Pure Brilliance Quiz" - 13 March
BRACKNELL

"OpenVMS - Tried & Tested for Resilience and Speed" - 19 March
LONDON

"HP Software Business Technology Optimization" - 27 March
LONDON

"OpenVMS Update Day" - 1 April
LONDON

"Data Networks & Storage Networks" - 3 April
WARRINGTON

"LINUX Management on ProLiant Blades" - 9 April
BIRMINGHAM

Conference News
***Web 2.0 Expo New York, NY--September 16-19
The Call for Participation is now open. Web 2.0 Expo is for the builders of the next generation web: designers, developers, entrepreneurs, marketers, business strategists, and venture capitalists. O'Reilly and CMP are seeking the best and brightest in the Web 2.0 universe to show the world how the next Internet Revolution is being designed and delivered.
<http://www.web2expo.com/ny>

To submit a proposal to speak at Web 2.0 Expo, go to:
<http://en.oreilly.com/webexny2008/public/cfp/18>

***2008 MySQL Conference & Expo Registration is Open, Santa Clara, CA--April 14-17
The largest gathering of MySQL developers, users, and DBAs worldwide, the event reflects MySQL's wide-ranging appeal and capabilities. The open atmosphere of the MySQL Conference & Expo helps IT professionals and community members to create the best database applications, tools, and software through expert instruction, hands-on tutorials, readily available MySQL developers, and guru business advice.

Use code "mys08usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the registration price. Early registration discount deadline ends February 26.

To register for the conference, go to:
<https://en.oreilly.com/mysql2008/public/register>

****Web Expo SF Registration is Open, San Francisco, CA--Apr 22-25
A companion event to the Web 2.0 Summit, Web 2.0 Expo is an expanded, inclusive gathering for the technology and business communities through a combined conference and tradeshow.

Use code "websf08ug" when you register and receive $100 off any conference package or a free expo hall pass. Early registration discount deadline ends March 20.

To register for the conference, go to:
<https://en.oreilly.com/webexsf2008/public/register>

***Where 2.0 2008 is Open, Burlingame, CA--May 12-14, 2008
At the O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference, we expose the tools pushing the boundaries of the location frontier, track the emergence of new business models and services, and spend time examining new sources of data and the platforms for collecting them.

Use code "whr08usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the registration price. Early registration discount deadline ends March 23.

To register for the conference, go to:
<https://en.oreilly.com/where2008/public/register>

****Registration for RailsConf 2008 is Open, Portland, OR--
May 29-June 1, 2008
Co-produced by Ruby Central and O'Reilly Media, RailsConf is "the" event for the growing Rails Community--the largest official gathering dedicatedto everything Rails. If you're passionate about Rails and what it helps you achieve--or if you're curious about how Rails can help you create web applications better and faster--this conference is the place to be.

Use code "rc08usrg" when you register, and receive 15% off the registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
<https://en.oreilly.com/rails2008/public/register>

O'Reilly School of Technology

***O'Reilly School of Technology Courses: UG Members Receive a 30% Discount
O'Reilly School of Technology has opened its virtual doors with educational offerings and certification for IT students looking to further their careers or to launch one. As an O'Reilly User Group  member, you save on all the courses in the following University of  Illinois Certificate Series:

-PHP/SQL Programming--New!
-Linux/Unix System Administration
-Web Programming
-Open Source Programming
-.NET Programming
-Client-Side Web Programming featuring AJAX

To redeem, use Promotion Code "ORALL1" good for a 30% discount, in Step #2 of the enrolment process. Each course comes with a free O'Reilly book and a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Register online:
<http://www.oreillyschool.com/?CMP=BAC-ostug>

News From O'Reilly & Beyond

***A Look Back at 10 Years of OSI
It's been 10 years since the Open Source Initiative was launched, and what a 10 years it has been. Open Source has gone from an obscure and radical concept to a vibrant sector of the software landscape. For the 10th Anniversary, our faithful newshound Federico Biancuzzi talked to some of the early pioneers of the OSI (such as Bruce Perens and Eric Raymond) about where it came from and how it is relevant today.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/onlamp/2008/02/12/a-look-back-at-10-years-of-osi.html>

***Aperture 2.0 with Joe Schorr
Aperture 2.0 is faster, easier to use, and produces better images, says Joe Schorr, Apple Senior Product Manager. In this interview with Derrick Story, Joe explains how Aperture 2.0 meets those lofty claims. This chat covers a lot of new ground.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2008/02/12/aperture-2-with-joe-schorr.html>

***Using Xenn for High Availability Clusters
Virtualization is one approach that you can take to implementing clusters. But you still have to arrange to handle failures in a high-availability environment. Here's one solution, using Xen.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/onlamp/2008/02/05/using-xen-for-high-availabilty-clusters.html>

***Developing RESTful Web Services in Perl
REST has become a widely used alternative to protocols such as SOAP, providing a simpler way to tell your server what you want to do without all that messy WSDL stuff. In this article, you'll see how to create a RESTful web service, using Perl.
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2008/02/19/developing-restful-web-services-in-perl.html>

***Music Technology at NAMM 2008
Part 1: America's biggest musical instrument show debuted more high-tech wonders than ever this year. O'Reilly Digital Media prowled NAMM's five massive, noisy halls to bring back these high-tech hits.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2008/01/24/2008-namm-report.html>

Part 2: We're back from NAMM 2008 with even more intriguing new gadgets and gear. Once again, the throbbing halls of America's biggest musical instrument trade show introduced a torrent of high-tech goodness. From a $99 Steinway to a truly killer guitar, from audible notation to singing keys, here's what you'll be playing this year.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2008/01/31/2008-namm-report-part-2.html>

***Katrin Eismann's Digital Darkroom Magic
Katrin Eismann, coauthor of The Creative Digital Darkroom, sat down with Derrick Story at PhotoPlus Expo in New York for a chat about how the darkroom has evolved from chemical-based to digital, and how that evolution has influenced her approach to image making. Katrin touches on many interesting topics, including her explanation on 3-step sharpening.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2008/01/29/katrin-eismanns-digital-darkroom-magic.html>

For more articles, go to:
<http://www.oreillynet.com/>

---------------------
Blogs
-------------------
***Community Pricing for Books
<http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/02/community_pricing_for_books.html>

***Ruby Turns 15 and Other Important Stuff
<http://www.oreillynet.com/fyi/blog/2008/02/ruby_turns_15_and_other_import.html>

***10 Things Every Parent Should Know About Facebook
<http://www.oreillynet.com/fyi/blog/2008/02/10_things_every_parent_should.html>

***Mac FFOSS (Freeware/Free & Open Source Software)
<http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2008/02/mac-ffoss-freewarefree-open-so-3.html>

***Where Did the Courier & Helvetica Fonts Go?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2008/02/where_did_the_courier_and_helv_1.html>

***O'Reilly Books and the Cuban Internet
<http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/01/folks_are_often.html>

***Learning Flex From Scratch: Meet the Authors, Meet Flex
<http://www.insideria.com/2008/02/lffs1-meet-the-authors-meet-fl.html>

***Sonar for your Home
<http://blogs.oreilly.com/digitalmedia/2008/02/sonar-for-your-home.html>

For more blogs, go to: