[Thamesvalley-pm] Fuzzy Searching

Iain Emsley print.crimes at yatterings.com
Sat Jun 7 05:31:50 PDT 2008

Hi Henry,

Apologies for slight delay in replying, just been away on a team away
day. Oh joy...

I've been playing around with it and I quite like it as it makes
searching a little easier but I wanted to try something which would just
do a brute force search on the text and display all results for a
particular word, rather than the entire string so that any differences
in a certain range could be exported (once its  been cleaned up). Its
also the reason why I wasn't using edit distances (Levenshtein,
Wagner-Fischer or Blew) since if I have a new set of texts then it is
highly possible that I'm not going to know what the final word may be in
the search or any variations thereon. Some of this is just experimenting
with some ideas from a conversation with a scientist a while back and
seeing what is possible.

ATB,
Iain

Iain Emsley