[Thamesvalley-pm] Perlie editors?

Adam Trickett adam.trickett at iredale.net
Sat Sep 15 01:27:16 PDT 2007

On Friday 14 Sep 2007, John Stumbles wrote:
> When editing a large Perl script it would be nice if one could jump from
> a current function invocation to the function's implementation, or find
> other invocations of it etc. I'm sure there are lots of other useful
> things an editor that to some extent understood the code it was editing
> could do.
>
> Are there any such beasts around? For linux platforms ...

Eclipse with the EPIC plugin or ActiveState's Komodo are pretty sophisticated
and understand Perl. Both VIM and Emacs have Perl modes and can be made quite
smart.

I must confess I use smaller scale tools because the slow start up of the
full-blown IDEs puts me off. I've found Geany and Kate acceptable tradeoffs
between speed and functionality, but I really should look at the bigger tools
again...

Software Freedom Day Greetings!

--
Adam Trickett