[Tallahassee-pm] Java woe

Phillip Tyre phillip.tyre at fcul.com
Tue Sep 9 14:12:27 CDT 2003

I'm not a java programmer. I remember playing with it back in the long
ago, but I don't remember a whole lot about it.
I'm a firm believer in server side, and not applets, and I've been able
to live snuggly in that cocoon, until today.

Today I'm faced with a problem that could be solved easily server side,
but the demands, and screams call for it to be client side, without a
submit to update the display.

So here is what I have,

Item         Quanity          Total
Widget A _____             _____
Widget B _____             _____

Total                             _____

The line under Quantity is a user entered number, for both widgets of
type A & B. The total is calculated based on the total number of widgets
being purchased, and also upon a really complex table of price break
points.

So it might look like this, simplified:
Widget A costs $4.00 for one, $3.95/each for 2, 3.50/each for 4 or more
etc. and B has a totally different cost.

The total, for Widget A, Widget B, and The TOTAL total needs to update
any time any of the quantity fields get or loose focus.

Now I'm going to make another confession, I normally don't even pay that
much attention to how webpages that I use work, so I don't even know if
you can do client side what I just mentioned without something amazingly
complex.

How hard is the above to do, the calculating when getting and loosing
focus I mean, and anyone know a tutorial that might get me started with
applets. I hate to say it, but I really don't need to understand what
I'm doing, I just need something I can muck with to make it work at this
point.

Up against a wall,

Phillip