[Tallahassee-pm] Halloweek-- a bit of fun

Rebekah Landbeck rlandbeck at uniteddatatronics.com
Mon Oct 27 10:58:48 CST 2003

So management has this bright idea of encouraging each department to come
up with a decoration theme for the week of Halloween, and to come in
costume on the day itself.  D-- one of the more fun management-type
individuals and head of a different department-- is telling me and R-- one
of the network analysts-- about the whole thing.  R says, "C'mon, what
would we do?  We don't have any women, we're not good at that kind of
stuff."  D and I stare at him for a second, and she points at me.  He
blinks and goes, "Oh, I forgot about her."  I knew I was one of the guys,
but... !!!

I made the guys all chip in five bucks and an old grey t-shirt and told 'em
I'd take care of the rest.  Now we've got translucent green vellum taped to
the fluorescent light panels to give everything a greenish cast, black
plastic covering one wall, black and green crepe paper streaming down over
it in a design vaguely reminiscent of dripping code, and strips of
posterboard with drawings of red and blue pills at the corners and which
read "Mr. Anderson" stuck over all the nameplates (corporate clones, that's
us... mine is "Ms. Anderson" though), and a border of green weird symbols
around the whiteboard.  I'm cutting the hems off the shirts, including the
ones at neck and arms, and making them all wrinkly, and we'll wear them
with drab colored pants and have stuck on our skin little posterboard
circles colored to look like sockets...

Muahaha.  Management should know better than to let Networking have a
chance at something like this.  I wonder how many blank looks we're going
to get.

Rebekah