[sb.pm] ActivePerl on PC

Robert Rothenberg wlkngowl at i-2000.com
Thu Apr 21 12:03:35 PDT 2005

On 21/04/2005 17:14 Matt Wynne wrote:

> I would like to develop and test my cgi program at my PC (WIN98) before
> I upload it to my ISP server.  I am having difficulty interfacing with
> my browser - MSIE5.
>
> When the call to the ActivePerl program is made from the browser, I get
> the "Save to disk or Open at current location" dialog box.  Selecting
> "Open at location" opens a DOS window where the Perl program executes.

In order to run the script as a CGI program, you need a web server on
your machine. The webserver runs the script, not the web browser.

So go to http://www.apache.org and download a Windows version. (I'm not
sure if it works on Windows 98; you may need Windows NT/2000/XP.)

Then get ahold of a CGI book, such as "CGI Programming with Perl" from
O'Reilley publishers (http://perl.oreilly.com/).  They've many other
Perl books as well, such as Learning Perl on Windows.

> I also cannot get the Perl program to accept %ENV from the browser (all
> elements are null) and cannot get the Perl program to output back to the
> browser (in other words:

%ENV comes from the web server that runs the CGI script, not the browser.