[sb.pm] Job Opening: Systems Administrator, Ridge, NY

Paul Dlug paul at nerdlabs.com
Wed Mar 31 15:03:26 CST 2004

I'm currently looking for a systems administrator to join our team in
Ridge (across the street from BNL). The job posting is below, if anyone
is interested, please contact me: paul at aps.org

Thanks,
Paul Dlug
Systems Administration Supervisor
American Physical Society

The American Physical Society (APS) is seeking a systems administrator
for our editorial office. This is an exciting opportunity to become
part of a small team responsible for the system, network and
application infrastructure at a medium sized business. This position is
located in Ridge, NY (LIE Exit 68), local candidates only, no
contractors or consultants need apply.

	Responsibilities:
	- Maintenance of FreeBSD and Solaris servers including network
installs, patching, application installation, performance tuning and
troubleshooting.
	- Lead role in our deployment of Mac OS X desktops across our
organization. This will include building an infrastructure to support
this initiative and working hand-in-hand with our support staff
implement this rollout.
	- Application installation and configuration (sendmail, OpenLDAP,
CUPS, StarOffice, etc.)
	- Application monitoring using NTop, Nagios, MRTG, SNMP, etc.
	- Tape backup using Legato or other backup software
	- Maintenance of apache web servers
	- Assisting users and support staff with troubleshooting
	- Automation of tasks using cfengine and perl scripts
	- On-call rotation
	- Some physical tasks (lifting equipment, rackmounting servers, etc.).
	- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills

	Skills/Experience:
	- Unix systems administration (FreeBSD and solaris preferred)
	- Experience with a language such as perl for scripting absolutely
required
	- Experience with NFS, DNS, LDAP, TCP/IP, CUPS
	- Experience with mail services (sendmail, postfix, SMTP)
	- Experience with backup software
	- Mac OS X administration a plus
	- Experience with radmind a big plus

	Please send all resumes/code samples to: paul at aps.org