[sb.pm] When should we meet next?

Siddhartha Basu basu at pharm.sunysb.edu
Wed Apr 14 10:13:41 CDT 2004

Hi,

Robert Rothenberg wrote:

> On 4/14/2004 12:50 AM Kostas Pentikousis wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Robert Rothenberg wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> | How's Tuesday April 27 or Thursday April 29?
>>
>> I would prefer 4/29.
>

> I just realized that 4/29 is bad for me. (I'll be on my way down to
> Kentucky, http://www.kentuckyderby.com/2004/).
>
> Should we just post-pone it the first week of May?

First week of may is good for me. However, after 6:30 will be prefarable
. I will be able to wrap my labwork around then.

> If there's not going to be a presentation, I'm fine with a purely social
> meeting over a few drinks.
>
>> ... However, we would like to see significant participation in
>> the next meeting. ...

I agree with you. It's a waste to prepare only for few people. And if we
are not expecting a lot of people before the meeting then the social
meeting with food and drink is the way to go :-).
Now, what about also having an informal discussion about increasing
attendance in our group meeting. Last year we had also seen this problem
of low attendance with lugsb group meeting too. The problem seems to be
less this year though probably it has taken some time for that group to
be known among the students.

> Yes.  I don't want to work on a presentation for just a couple of people.
>
>> I'm using a hash tied to DB_File for one of my research projects.
>> I could explain why and how to use such a tool. I'm also
>> interested in listening to a presentation on DBI, I'm sure there
>> will many new things to learn :). But wouldn't you be more
>> interested in a dry run on SkipLists? ;)
>

> Would be a very dry run on skip lists, as I'm not done on the
> presentation for YAPC::NA, which brings me to another topic (next post)....

I am interested in going to the conference and want to help with
carpooling anyway i can. We can also hash this out in the next social meet.

-sidd

Siddhartha Basu
Post-Doctoral Research fellow
Department of Pharmacology.