[SPUG-Workers] The future of SPUG

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Fri Feb 9 19:20:44 PST 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 02:39:06PM -0800, jerry gay wrote:
> i believe anyone who shows initiative should be rewarded with
> responsibility :)

:)

The person is Daina Wilburn, who has been consulting as a technical
recruiter for Whitepages. Many of you have met him at recent SPUG
meetings. He's often been the contact person who will go down to greet
people and let them up the elevators to get to the meetings.

He's done top notch recruiting for WP. His office, until today, was
right next to my cube, so I've had lots of opportunity to chat with him
about working with software, the Perl community, stereo and computer
geekery and so on. I'm pretty glad that he's willing to help out.

> in fact, one part of that would make a
> great topic for this month's meeting--automation of meeting
> announcement tasks.
>
> there is a stock announcement email and wiki info to update every
> month. doing it manually takes time, and, frankly, is unnecessary. we
> can build a set of modules and utilities which will take much of the
> pain out of manual tasks, and let the organizer concentrate on the
> things that require thought. let's develop these tools together, at
> this month's meeting.

That is a great idea, Jerry. Let's dedicate the upcoming meeting to
creating a few simple automation tools. Feel free to write up an
announcement and send it to the main list, or I will when I get back
from a weekend trip.

Have fun,
-Colin.