[SPUG-Workers] The future of SPUG

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 14:39:06 PST 2007

On 2/9/07, Andrew Sweger <andrew at sweger.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Feb 2007, Colin Meyer wrote:
>
> > I have found someone who is willing to organize SPUG, and who I believe
> > is plenty capable. His only hesitation is he is not a terribly technical
> > person. He is a recruiter. You may have guessed who he is by now. I don't
> > think that our leader needs to be a technical ubergeek. What we really
> > need is organization.
> >
> > So, I guess that my purpose of writing this note is to get some feedback.
> > One thing is that I don't want to come in and tromp on anyone else's
> > ideas. But I do want to get SPUG going, to restore the value it once
> > had.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> You've got me curious. And I'm open to the idea. I'm amazed at how much
> energy can go in to organizing.

i believe anyone who shows initiative should be rewarded with responsibility :)

between family, travel, and weather, i've missed the last three
meetings, and have had little to no time for organizing them. i, like
andrew, am amazed at how much energy it takes to get meetings
coordinated and organized. in fact, one part of that would make a
great topic for this month's meeting--automation of meeting
announcement tasks.

there is a stock announcement email and wiki info to update every
month. doing it manually takes time, and, frankly, is unnecessary. we
can build a set of modules and utilities which will take much of the
pain out of manual tasks, and let the organizer concentrate on the
things that require thought. let's develop these tools together, at
this month's meeting.

~jerry