[SPUG-Workers] june meeting -- slight change?

jerry gay jerry.gay at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 18:40:20 PDT 2006

i just spoke with audrey. it seems that wednesday or thursday (21st or
22nd) would work better for her, so she can make a stop in portland as
well. can we secure a space for the talk at 6:30p on either of those
nights, or are we locked in for friday the 23rd?

i have attached her bio and talk details below, so as soon as the
date, time, and location are settled,  we can send out the usual
invite. i think the sooner the better, so everyone has time to adjust
for the adjusted time.

btw i reverted the main wiki page from spam.
~jerry

Presentation Description
Deploying Perl 6

With the advent of v6.pm, we can write "use v6-pugs;", start coding in
Perl 6, and deploy it as part of a Perl 5 application, without any
extra dependencies such as Haskell, Parrot, or even C compilers.

This talk will discuss typical deployment scenarios, emphasizing on
the strength of Perl 6's deployment model:

    * Automatic dependency analysis, so upgrading CPAN modules will no
longer break programs mysteriously.
    * Multiversioning, allowing the use of multiple versions of the
same module on the system.
    * Module and function interfaces that enables more robust and
self-documenting programs.
    * Cross-platform bytecode, resulting in faster loading time and
cross-compilation opportunity to e.g. client-side JavaScript.

Moreover, we will present recipes for reusing Perl 5 modules in Perl 6
programs and vice versa.

Speaker Bio
Audrey Tang (Traditional chinese: 唐鳳; born April 18, 1981 as 唐宗漢,
formerly known as Autrijus) is a Taiwanese free software programmer,
best known for initiating and leading the Pugs project, a joint effort
from Haskell and Perl communities to implement the Perl 6 language.

She is also known for internationalization and localization
contributions to several Free Software programs, including SVK, Kwiki,
Request Tracker and Slash, as well as heading Traditional Chinese
translation efforts for various Open Source-related books.

On the CPAN, Tang initiated over 100 Perl projects, including the
popular Perl Archive Toolkit (PAR), a cross-platform packaging and
deployment tool for Perl 5. She is also responsible for setting up
smoke test and digital signature systems for CPAN.

Tang is a high school dropout and a vocal proponent for autodidactism
and individualist anarchism.