[SPUG-Workers] SPUG: april 18 meeting followup

Murray Chapman muzzle at imdb.com
Wed May 10 18:13:16 PDT 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, jerry gay wrote:

> we're about week away from the next meeting, and it's time to send an
> announcement out to the list members. my apologies for not reminding
> you earlier, but we request a short speaker bio and a talk title and
> description. please forward them at your earliest convenience, so we
> can advertise your talk.

Hi Jerry,

I'll be giving the talk; here's some info you can use:

Perl at IMDb -- Murray Chapman

The Internet Movie Database is a top-100 website with an large amount of
highly-interlinked data.  We see ourselves as a technology company rather
than a media or entertainment company, having custom-built essentially all
of our software in Perl.  I would like to share some of the lessons we've
learned about Perl: what works, what doesn't, and what we wish it could do
-- as well as discussing practical information about building and
operating an ultra-high-volume website as part of a team that is
distributed across the globe.

About me:

I am the manager of the technology team at IMDb; our team's role is to
build and operate the website, development platform, and other internal
tools.  I have been with IMDb since 1993 when it was a hobby project
coordinated via rec.arts.movies.  Following our April 1998 aquisition by
Amazon.com I moved from Brisbane, Australia to Seattle to spearhead the
integration effort.  I'm a movie and computer geek, which makes IMDb the
perfect environment for me!

Thanks,
Murray

-- Murray Chapman                               Zheenl Punczna          --
-- muzzle at imdb.com                              zhmmyr at vzqo.pbz         --
-- Internet Movie Database                      Vagrearg Zbivr Qngnonfr --
-- http://www.imdb.com                          uggc://jjj.vzqo.pbz     --