[SPUG-Workers] April Meeting

Steve Baylis sbaylis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 10:22:06 PDT 2006

Hey Andy,

Since the meeting is next week, I guess we should send the
announcement and I should wrap up my presentation...

Below are the blurbs so you can send the announcement.  You can use
Craig for the contact person for access.  His number is 206.579.7113.

Who: Steve Baylis
I have been programming in Perl for the last ten years and I'm
currently the Lead Architect at WhitePages.com.  In my position, I am
responsible for ensuring our applications respond quickly and scale
efficiently. Given that we are a top 100 web property and all of our
code is in Perl, I have learned a *lot* about squeezing performance
from Perl.

What: Introduction to Making Perl Faster
Everyone knows "There's more than one way to do it", but that
generally means there's a fast way and a slow way and probably more
than a few in between.  Sometimes to get the best performance, you
have to sacrifice RAM or readability or both.  Sometimes, it's not
worth it.  Sometimes it is.  In my presentation, I'll use show how
we've tuned some large applications to get better performance as well
as demonstrate some simple things everyone can do to make their code
more efficient.

-Steve