SPUG: JOB: Scientific Programmer in UW Microbiology (Seattle)

SPUG Jobs jobs-noreply at seattleperl.org
Tue Jul 22 17:36:30 PDT 2014

I found my current job in a UW Microbiology lab through SPUG's mailing
list last year, and now we're looking for an additional person to work
alongside me.  Perl is used for both web apps and tools as well as doing
data analysis.  It's a good chunk of the job, though there are tasks
ranging the full stack from basic sysadmin to computational support.  In
many ways, working in the lab is very much like working in a small
company, and there's a lot of freedom in the position.  You'll have
great opportunities to enhance the computational environment of a lab
focused on improving medical science and public health.

Required skill-set:

 - fluency in modern Perl and SQL
 - familiarity with object-oriented design and MVC software architecture
 - strong command line and Unix skills
 - strong written and verbal communication skills
 - excellent attention to detail

Desired skills:

 - comfortable working in other languages such as JavaScript, Python, R, and C
 - experience managing and debugging the full-stack environment
 - experience in bioinformatics, molecular biology, or life sciences

Hiring details:

 - union-exempt permanent W-2 (professional staff)
 - standard UW benefits including 403(b) match, tuition exemption, highly
   subsidized health insurance

Location:

 - South Lake Union, Seattle with partial telecommute possible (majority
   on-site time required)

Company's product or service:

 - The Mullins Lab focuses on HIV research and is part of the UW
   Department of Microbiology.

Full description with application instructions at UW HR (disregard the
current closing date):

   https://uwhires.admin.washington.edu/eng/candidates/default.cfm?szCategory=jobprofile&szOrderID=96003

If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them personally (trsibley
at uw dot edu).

Thomas Sibley