SPUG: self-study recommendations?

Chad Cassady chad.cassady at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 14:01:03 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Had a lovely time at last night's meeting, the talk was informative and
everybody was very nice to the new guy. There was also free cola and an
excellent view.

I have a question:

Perl is my first language, and I started learning it September 1st. I'm
working through the O'Reilly book /Learning Perl. /I just got done with
Chapter 8, so I've (hopefully) learned the syntax of perl, how to work
with loops and subroutines, hashes, arrays, and scalars, and some
idioms/shortcuts. Chapters 7 and 8 were devoted to regular expressions.
There's one more chapter playing with regexes, then some more control
structures (some of which I've already dabbled with after cruising the
documentation) and the rest seems to deal with having perl do things to
the system - file, directory, and process operations (in conjunction
with more pattern matching to make it more powerful).

My question is, where do I go after /Learning Perl/, and more
importantly, at what point do I start telling prospective employers that
I am competent with perl? I need a rubric. My current plan is just to go
through /Intermediate Perl/ and then write something cool.

If anybody wants to look at my perl landing maneuvers and offer
constructive criticism, I'm on github.com/beatboxchad. Don't go easy.
I'm a quick study. No pain, no gain, right?

Thanks,

Chad