SPUG: self-study recommendations?

Augustina Blair augustinablair at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 13:38:15 PDT 2012

If you are new to programming, I would definitely check out the book
Land of Lisp. There are things in that book I wish I had learned early
on in my programming career. Also Learn You A Haskell for a Great Good
is pretty good as well but I haven't finished it yet. I know it's not
specifically Perl but Perl lends itself well to functional programming
methodology and it's good to learn that paradigm :)

Otherwise, I recommend the classic Camel book "Programming Perl". I
still revisit it and learn new things!

Finally, I highly recommend you look into finding a module on CPAN
that looks interesting to contribute to. Participating in that sort of
project helps you to learn more about Perl and to get more involved
with the community. Just off the top of my head, metacpan and Dancer
are recent ones that have been actively looking for contributors, as
well Moose is always looking for participants. The Perl community is
super nice, feel free to hop on any of those irc channels, details are
at http://www.metacpan.org

(btw, if you're not using cpanm or metacpan you should be!!)

Auggy