SPUG: rejecting PERL applicants?

Tim Maher tim at consultix-inc.com
Tue Jun 12 14:56:31 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 02:36:26PM -0700, Jeff Almeida wrote:

> OK, suppose I chose the turn of phrase, "Perl was not originally
> intended to be an acronym," instead? (Which, incidentally, might
> make good candidate for inclusion in the next revision of perlfaq1)
> Because either way, the strength of the shibboleth is really that
> the community doesn't render it in all-caps, regardless of reason.

Those adherents to the "secret handshake" model of admitting new JAPHs
to the Perl community might find themselves in hot water if an otherwise
worthy JAPH were denied a job just for capitalizing "Perl", given the
evidence that the language's name has effectively become an acronym.

> And for the record, I *prefer* "Pathologically eclectic rubbish
> lister," because, as anyone who has examined the joyful horror of
> Selfgol and its many, many unusual cousins will attest, 'Practical'
> is a matter of debate and 'extraction and reporting' are to Perl's
> capabilities as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are to the cast of
> Hamlet. ;)

An interesting thought!

> Oh, and yes Tim, after 9 years I finally did succeed in moving up
> here! Which, if you count from when I was living in Dallas in '03
> and first (recently) tried, represents about a centimeter-per-second
> pace. :D
>
> Jeff D. Almeida
> near Seattle, WA

Glad you finally made it; hope you can stand the weather! 8-}

-Tim
 |    Tim Maher, PhD  (206) 781-UNIX    http://www.consultix-inc.com     |
 |     tim at ( TeachMePerl, TeachMeLinux, or TeachMeUnix ) dot Com      |