SPUG: Rounding error

michaelrwolf at att.net michaelrwolf at att.net
Wed Nov 23 19:49:49 PST 2011

Heck, there's been more than 500% inflation since the penny was useful.  Do it
in nickels.  Or dimes.

<rant>

My personal opinion (worth 2 of the things I think are useless) is that the
penny should have gone the way of the lira when the dollar coin came out, and do
a hardware register shift right (register as in cash register), leaving the
nickel as the smallest coin in the till.

Heck, they should have done it twice, and gotten a $2 coin (or $5), and done
away with the nickel.

It was interesting (to my penny-ante-mind) how they made change in Italy (30
years ago) when they still had the lira.  It was difficult to get a 50 lira bill
that was structurally sound enough to hold itself together so most transactions
rounded to 100-ish lira.  Mas o minas, to go polyglot on you.  All this
US-anal-retentive-penny-retentive accounting is a waste of time, and time is
money.

Riddle me this, joker...

If it takes you more than a penny's time to account for a penny, what's that
called?

</rant>

Amit...

Hope the "don't use fractions" design pattern helped.  My rant was independent
of that.  I really *do* hope that you're dealing with a business where the more
important aspect is do you have enough bits to hold that many pennies!

 Michael R. Wolf
____MichaelRWolf at att.net
________All mammals learn by playing.