SPUG: September 2010 Meeting Announcement

Mark Swayne mark_swayne at charter.net
Thu Sep 23 10:02:24 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 22:56 -0700, Bryce Baril wrote:
> It went pretty well -- it certainly suffered from some first try bugs,
> but we all had fun.
> The contest was duelling cannons.  Each player was a fixed cannon
> somewhere on a 1000 meter linear playing field.

Bryce, thanks for hosting this event.  I enjoyed the challenge, and I
think everyone else did too.

As you mention I worked with Josh Juran on the team "And Elbows". After
a quick chat about a firing strategy, we divided the work.  I focused on
the client implementation while Josh put together the firing logic.

I've attached our code, uncleaned and (at least in my case) somewhat

The client worked as intended, but I wrote it to terminate after one
game, so I kludged in a hardcoded set of credentials so I could rejoin
the tournament.

For future tournaments, I like the idea of a standard client library
that would allow teams to focus on the primary task.

Once again, thanks to Bryce and to everyone who showed up.  I had a good
time and look forward to future meetings.

--Mark Swayne